Are you looking for a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a highly regarded regional research team? Do you want an opportunity to make a difference, where you will be a big fish in a little pond?
The Atlantic Provinces Economic Council (APEC) is an independent economic policy research organization with a mandate to further economic progress in Atlantic Canada. We have an opening to join our small team of dedicated, experienced and skilled researchers based in Halifax.
We are looking for an Economist who is ready to take on additional responsibilities and who has the potential to transition into a leadership role in due course. Ideally, you are working in the private sector or at a research institute, where you understand the need to deliver value for clients in a timely manner. You have experience managing small research projects and are now ready for a bigger challenge. You are comfortable seeking research funding and capable of managing a research budget.
You are open to using new tools and media to reach your audience, such as social media, blogs, podcasts, video, and preferably already have experience with at least some of these. You present well and are at ease speaking to media, business and government leaders. You understand the importance of developing relationships with external stakeholders, including clients and other researchers.
Reporting directly to the President and CEO, you will be responsible to undertake research and provide content for APEC’s two quarterly publications that monitor and assess key economic trends in the four Atlantic provinces.
You will contribute to and lead research projects, increasingly taking on responsibility to identify new projects and help generate research funding.
You will present to business and government leaders at APEC events, as well as through webinars and invited, paid presentations.
You will interact with APEC members and other stakeholders, sharing APEC’s research and listening to the key issues and concerns they face, and conduct confidential research interviews.
Your responsibilities and leadership role will progress with proven capacity.
Your Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in economics
- Exceptional ability to write clear, concise and accurate reports that are readily understandable by non-economists
- Experience and proficiency editing the written work of other economists to ensure clarity, relevance, accuracy and brevity is an important asset
- Comfortable presenting to business leaders, policy makers, analysts, media and academic audiences, with a demonstrable capacity to communicate in ways that engage non-economists in a non-technical manner
- Proven capacity to produce relevant research, with appropriate rigor and substantive evidence, both quantitative and qualitative
- Able to work independently yet keen to be a team player
- Knowledge of economic development and policy in Atlantic Canada is a distinct advantage but can be developed over time
- Bilingualism (English/French) would be highly valued and well used for media interviews and presentations
Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience and will progress with responsibility and the capacity to help generate and sustain revenue. APEC offers a health benefits package and a matched contribution group RRSP plan.
Interested candidates should send a detailed resume and cover letter, clearly indicating how they meet the
above requirements, by January 21, 2019 to:
Lise Brooks, Manager of Finance and Operations, APEC, email@example.com with Subject Line: Economist/Senior Economist Application
Potential candidates are encouraged to visit www.apec-econ.ca to learn more about APEC. We would like to thank all those who apply for this position but only those under consideration will be contacted.