Economist/Policy Advisor #23594
DEPARTMENT: Finance Department
BRANCH: Office of the Budget
Salary: $47.11 to $51.19 per hour (effective April 1, 2019)
LOCATION: 17250 Yonge Street, Newmarket
STATUS: Temporary Full-Time, Approx. 6 months
SCHEDULED WEEKLY HOURS: 35
SCHEDULED SHIFTS: 0830 – 1630
This is a Replacement Union position - CUPE Local 905 (York Region Unit)
Reporting to the Manager, Corporate Capital Budgeting, is responsible for providing policy advice, quantitative analysis and research supporting the long-term fiscal planning and/or multi-year budget efforts of the Region in the Operating Budget, Capital Budget and Fiscal Planning units. Supports the processes and planning for annual, and multi-year budgeting, corporate in-year expenditure analysis and reporting, and providing analytics for long term fiscal planning and the budget process.
- Conducts economic, statistical and quantitative research and analysis in support of developing fiscal forecasting or multi-year budget and policy strategies.
- Designs and operates computer models to estimate the economic and financial impacts of various Regional issues and initiatives.
- Prepares briefing notes and summaries of analytical and/or model results by conducting research and analysis, providing summaries of information and issues, etc.
- Prepares reports and presentations to Committee and Council summarizing analysis of long term fiscal planning or multi-year budget issues and other performance analytics.
- Ensures information is accurate and provided on a timely basis.
- Assists with the implementation of process improvements and special projects for the Branch.
- Briefs senior staff and prepares or provides input to reports, briefing notes, presentations, statistics and analysis, for management.
- Works in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, including other Departments, municipalities, agencies/commissions, provincial and federal governments, financial institutions, economic and professional associations, and develops effective relationships.
- Successful completion of a Masters Degree in Economics, Business Administration, Mathematics, or a related discipline or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum one (1) year experience in a large multi-divisional organization including experience in forecasting, research, analysis, budgets, economic indicators, modelling, and project management.
- Knowledge of relevant regulations, guidelines, procedures, standards and legislation.
- Knowledge of financial and economic principles and practices.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer services, communication, teamwork, initiative/self-management, accountability, and flexibility/adaptability.
- Intermediate/advanced skills in quantitative and statistical analysis.
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills.
- Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications with advanced knowledge of spreadsheets, database, presentation and wordprocessing software.
- Ability to identify areas for constructive change and communicate issues and potential solutions to management.
- Ability to attend at offsite locations in a timely and efficient manner, as required.
- Ability to work outside regular hours, as required.Should there be no candidates who meet the minimum requirements outlined in the job description, this position may be underfilled.
Please apply online by March 18, 2019 at 4:30 p.m. We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted via email.