Central 1 wants to be the national choice for financial, digital banking, and payment solutions in Canada. Our unique place in the financial services industry enables us to power progress for more than 300 financial institutions from coast to coast to coast. Central 1 has created a collaborative work environment made up of curious and courageous employees passionate about finding the right way forward for clients.
It’s important we succeed, because the banking industry is one where disruption rules and old ways of doing business are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Central 1 is here to keep Canada’s financial marketplace diversified, support Canadians who want a choice when it comes to banking, and do good for the communities we serve.
We are looking for a Business Economist to join the Economics team to develop sophisticated and compelling economic analysis to inform strategic choices and guide credit unions across the country. Our team helps our clients by providing evidence driven economic and market analysis that assists them in strategic planning and operations. As a key member of the team, you’ll become an expert on the analysis and modelling on the impact of the economy, tax policy, and regulations on credit union financial performance to support decision-making.
- Conduct analyses and forecasts of credit union system financial performance, market share, and key financial metrics.
- Monitor and maintain an up-to-date knowledge of conditions, trends, and developments in the economy, financial markets, and government policies affecting credit unions and Central 1.
- Assess and report on the impact of tax policy and regulatory changes on credit unions and Central 1.
- Prepare forecasts and conduct scenario analysis using state-of-the art statistical tools and econometric models on economic and credit union financial data.
- Communicate results of analysis and forecasts in an effective manner using written reports, presentation materials, and oral briefings
- Support internal teams, including Risk Management, Finance, and Treasury, with analysis, forecasting and statistical modelling.
- Conduct economic research and analysis in support of the department as required.
- Identify areas for continuous improvement and research.
- Maintain effective working relationships with clients and an external network of information sources.
- Other duties and special project work, as required.
- A Master’s Degree in Economics or closely related field such as commerce or statistics or equivalent, and a minimum of three years, preferably 5 years, of experience in data analysis and economic modelling. Equivalent combination of education and related experience may be considered.
- Experience in the design and implementation of statistical analysis and economic modelling projects; experience at a financial institution is preferred and knowledge of regulations and policies governing credit unions is an asset.
- Experience in preparing and presenting the results of complex statistical and economic analysis to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience in using relational databases, large datasets, and associated applications such as R, SQL, SPSS, E-Views, 4 Cast Gear, and proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and similar software.
- Sound knowledge of economic, financial accounting, banking principles, econometric modelling and forecasting, and seasonal adjustment methods are necessary.
- A strong communicator: must be able to clearly, logically, convincingly, diplomatically, and effectively express himself/herself, both verbally and in writing
- Self-motivated, high degree of problem solving/analytical skills, innovative and creative; takes initiative, excellent listening and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to apply sound judgement and make decisions.
- Superb analytical skills, exceptional presentation skills and business acumen.
- Able to work independently and as a member of a highly-skilled team.
As much as we believe in working hard, we also believe in personal growth and taking time for ourselves. Accordingly, our total rewards philosophy amounts to one of the best compensation and benefits packages in the industry – from performance-based incentives and extended benefits, to training and education reimbursements and ample vacation time.
Central 1 is committed to diversity and inclusion. If you have a request for an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Reporting to: Chief Economist
Date Posted: May 31, 2019
Internal Applicants must apply by: June 7, 2019
*Unsolicited resumes from vendors will not be accepted for this or any position at Central 1*